DKE Tailgate Club – 2013 Version – DKE Alumni Association Social Committee
Another football season is upon us and our tailgating just keeps getting bigger and better! As always, you may find our tailgate in Lot 4, Space 94, and we make every attempt to be up and available at least 3 hours before kick-off, though that’s sometimes a little tough for noon games. We are changing things up a bit this year by: renting a pre-setup large tent for each home game; having Tailgate Sponsors to help assist/organize the tailgates; and moving away from full catering other than specific tailgates. Make plans for the October 5th weekend as we expect to expand the affair and have an Open House at the DKE House post game.
We have a location set up for the VT-Alabama game in Atlanta this weekend for Noon on Saturday at STATS bar near the Georgia Dome. If you are down for the game or in the area make arrangements to spend part of the pregame with some fellow Dekes and friends. The home schedule is as follows:
- September 7 10:30AM Western Carolina [DKE Active Chapter – Rush Event]
- September 21 Marshall [DKE Active Chapter, Little Sisters and Parents]
- October 5 UNC [DKE Alumni Annual Weekend, DKE Tailgate Club, Charlie Webb et al,]
- October 12 PITT [Tailgate Sponsors - in hand]
- October 26 DUKE [Get U into DKE game, Tailgate Sponsors wanted]
- November 16 MARYLAND [Last Md. ACC Game, Tailgate Sponsors wanted]
We also look to have road game meeting locations set up for the GT, BC, and UVA games and hopefully the ACC Championship Game. The DKE Tailgates are a new tradition and we are entering out 6th season at Lot 4. In case you still can’t find out location after all these years a map is attached.
The tailgating activities have played a substantial role in the greatly improved health of the active chapter. While these young men have demonstrated outstanding leadership and overall effort, the continuing presence and participation of alumni has had a demonstrable impact on the chapter and on potential new members. The tailgating costs have increased substantially as we have greater and greater numbers of people attending, so we have focused our efforts this year to pay-as-you-go system and limiting the more expensive catering costs to select games. If you attend the tailgates (or even don’t attend) we plan to have a manned donation box to help offset some of the food and drink costs. Just in case you don’t have your wallet with you we have multiple other ways in which you can support the DKE Tailgate Club for the 2013 season:
- Join the DKE Tailgate Club for 2013 (token $350 donation which gets you priority access to the Bloody Mary’s, DKE T-shirt, and other perks too numerous to mention)
- Attend the DKE Alumni Day (VT Homecoming vs. UNC) tailgate and open house (details to follow)
- Make a contribution to the DKE Annual Fund (tax-deductible!)
- Sponsor a tailgate supplies or bring some extra food, beer, mixers, liquor to donate to the festivities
- Most Importantly – ATTEND! !!!!! Remember: Lot 4, Space 94 !!!!!
Contact Charlie Webb at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to help out and/or lead sponsor a tailgate.